Go Back   Yellowworld Forums > Interests > Archives > Interests > Food and Travel

Old 09-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Membership Pending

fossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond repute
Question Asian grocery stores in DC area

Is anybody familiar with Vietnamese or Chinese markets (like Ranch 99) in the DC area? I live on Capitol Hill right next to Chinatown, but it's just a couple of restaurants and the markets don't even sell meat. It would be great if there were stuff like haircutters there too. Oh yeah, no car so I'm stuck to hiking from the nearest metro stop :(
Old 09-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Administrator

SunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Asian grocery stores in DC area

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by fossilfuel
Is anybody familiar with Vietnamese or Chinese markets (like Ranch 99) in the DC area? I live on Capitol Hill right next to Chinatown, but it's just a couple of restaurants and the markets don't even sell meat. It would be great if there were stuff like haircutters there too. Oh yeah, no car so I'm stuck to hiking from the nearest metro stop :(
where exactly in DC do you live? i work near Union Station and live in Arlington. the DC Chinatown is pathetic. ever since the MCI Centre was built, real estate prices have been driven up and the Chinese businesses have been moving to the Maryland suburbs. now the neighborhood is becoming more upscale, with stores like Ann Taylor, Benetton, Urban Outfitters and the like. it's just not Chinatown if it's not ghetto.

Ranch 99 does not exist in the DC area. in fact, i've never even seen it on the east coast. to be honest, i have no idea where you can reach an Asian grocery store by metro. most of the Asian population in the DC area is in the suburbs. Chinese mostly in Maryland, Koreans and Vietnamese mostly in Virginia.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Yellowworld Mayor

so_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond reputeso_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond reputeso_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond reputeso_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond reputeso_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond reputeso_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond reputeso_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond reputeso_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond reputeso_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond reputeso_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond reputeso_fee_ahh has a reputation beyond repute

You're absolutely right, there isn't much of a Chinatown in DC. That's disappointing because there are so many Asians in the DC metropolitan area. They needa do something about that. The Chinatown in NY is much better...more shops and restaurants, definitely.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Membership Pending

fossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond reputefossilfuel has a reputation beyond repute

I live between the Union Station and Gallery Place metro stops. Yeah it's a horrible, horrible area. I was expecting a lot more from the DC Chinatown after living in SF and LA for so long. Looks like I will have to suck up to someone with a car (or get my hair cut by a non-Asian for the first time ever) :P

Ok, after some more fact-finding I've been led to believe that there is a large Asian shopping complex near Seven Corners. The nearest metro stop is at East Falls Church - from which I need to walk 2 miles through a cemetary to get through. Is this just a horrible idea? Keep in mind a 2 mile walk isn't a bad distance for me, I just don't want it to be through a rough neighborhood. Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Administrator

SunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE:
I live between the Union Station and Gallery Place metro stops. Yeah it's a horrible, horrible area. I was expecting a lot more from the DC Chinatown after living in SF and LA for so long. Looks like I will have to suck up to someone with a car (or get my hair cut by a non-Asian for the first time ever) :P

Ok, after some more fact-finding I've been led to believe that there is a large Asian shopping complex near Seven Corners. The nearest metro stop is at East Falls Church - from which I need to walk 2 miles through a cemetary to get through. Is this just a horrible idea? Keep in mind a 2 mile walk isn't a bad distance for me, I just don't want it to be through a rough neighborhood. Thanks for any advice.
a 2-mile walk normally isn't too bad, except you may be forgetting that you're going to be carrying bags of groceries. Seven Corners has Asian hair barbers, but Annandale probably has more. unless you have some elaborate hair style you want to sport, there are plenty of cheap barber shops in DC. actually i go to a Vietnamese one in my neighborhood. it's pretty cheap.

the easiest solution is, well, i give you a ride.
i can take you to Han Ah Reum. it's a Korean super market, and it's better than the grocery stores in Seven Corners.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:21 PM
major dork

lethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond repute

The grocery stores in Seven Corners are mostly Vietnamese. That large shopping complex is almost all Vietnamese actually. I wouldn't say the neighborhood is rough, but its not the safest either. both in terms of crime, but don't forget the traffic. There are many pedestrian deaths on those roads.

Where you want to go pretty much depends on whether you want Vietnamese, Chinese, or Korean stuff.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

RIP Jeannie

Damn thieves. Make sure you're not a victim of ID theft. Protect yourself.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Administrator

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by lethalweapon
Where you want to go pretty much depends on whether you want Vietnamese, Chinese, or Korean stuff.
well for food, Han Ah Reum pretty much has most of what you'd need in terms of Chinese food. i don't know about Vietnamese food. the only thing is that i wish they sell Vitasoy at Han Ah Reum.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:39 PM
YW Super Mod

rice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget about Super H.

SWK and I both have cars. We could do Asian meals on wheels.

It's all on Google.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Yellowworld Governor

raacluse has a reputation beyond reputeraacluse has a reputation beyond reputeraacluse has a reputation beyond reputeraacluse has a reputation beyond reputeraacluse has a reputation beyond reputeraacluse has a reputation beyond reputeraacluse has a reputation beyond reputeraacluse has a reputation beyond reputeraacluse has a reputation beyond reputeraacluse has a reputation beyond reputeraacluse has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you've already gone to the main grocery store in Chinatown next to Tony cheng's seafood restaurant. I think it's called Da Hua.

Obviously, other areas with Asian grocery stores besides those mentioned include Rockville, Wheaton, and Langley Park. They're all in Maryland. Wheaton is the easiest to get to by Metro rail.

When you think about Asian supermarkets (as opposed to smaller stores) in the DC area, they're mostly Korean.

(Wouldn't it be nice if Marukai could open a 98c store in the Baltimore-Washington area? Fat chance...)
Old 09-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Membership Pending

Yeah I've been to Da Hua, and while not horrible, there's small neighborhood groceries in SF that really dwarf it. And they don't sell meat or fresh vegetables! Wtf is up with that.

I haven't been to Korean markets, are they all that different from Chinese/Viet ones? (as far as product selection goes).

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am determined to have a good bowl of pho at least once in the next 3 years!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:10 PM
major dork

lethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond reputelethal has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I can tell you where the good Pho restaurants are at least, if you can't find the ingredients to make them.

Pho in NoVA is far superior to Pho anywhere outside California.

RIP Jeannie

Old 09-14-2004, 09:47 PM
0-60 in 3.3, 11.5@ 124

yoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by rice cracker
Don't forget about Super H.

SWK and I both have cars. We could do Asian meals on wheels.
green with envy......
Old 09-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Membership Pending

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by lethalweapon
Well, I can tell you where the good Pho restaurants are at least, if you can't find the ingredients to make them.

Pho in NoVA is far superior to Pho anywhere outside California.
Well, I had some Pho in Saigon that was pretty good, although really skimpy compared to the US

The only Viet restaurants I've seen were near the Georgetown main campus. They didn't seem very authentic though; they didn't have the cheap cafeteria feel and fluorescent lighting that legitimize Vietnamese restaurants.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:40 PM
major dork

QUOTE:
Well, I had some Pho in Saigon that was pretty good, although really skimpy compared to the US

The only Viet restaurants I've seen were near the Georgetown main campus. They didn't seem very authentic though; they didn't have the cheap cafeteria feel and fluorescent lighting that legitimize Vietnamese restaurants.
You've got to make your way to Seven Corners then. Soon. Maybe right now.

And honestly, I'd rate the Pho in Saigon below Pho I've had in OC, LA, SJ, SF, and NoVA.

RIP Jeannie

Old 09-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Administrator

QUOTE:

those Vietnamese restaurants in Georgetown are a rip-off. i know a good Pho place on route 50 in NoVa. forgot what it's called at the moment.

if you would like, we can figure out when rice cracker and i can take you grocery shopping and to have some pho. we just went grocery shopping last night though and we stocked up so we won't have to go anytime soon.