PDA

View Full Version : how to deal with...slow ppl...who think they're quick

sandra
09-22-2003, 01:29 PM
so your boss thinks he's super intelligent. but it turns out - through your observations - that he's not so hot. in fact, he misses half of what most people tell him. he has difficulty understanding. he just doesn't get it. it's pretty amusing to others (e.g., opposing counsel), but it's hurting your case. you'd explain his mistakes to him, but most of the time he tells you you're wrong. and he'll get defensive. (e.g., he'll say that he appreciates your comments but it's obvious he really doesn't). the only time he'll really acknowledge that you might be right is if a 3rd party sides with you. he'll argue with you about everything - even things that lay people know (e.g., whether the sky is blue.) serious. but he always asks for your opinion. to shoot it down.

tactics i've tried - saying "maybe next time WE should..." or "WE forgot to do this..." so that it won't sound like i'm singling him out but rather framing it like the team's mistake. that doesn't work.

what to do?

shy
09-22-2003, 01:38 PM
it's tough, but if you get everything down in email converesations, it's easier to show his path of errors... i mean, if he's wrong, he'll be proven wrong. just make sure you don't get burned for it. i try to do everything via email. not always easy, but worth it.

i hate bosses like yours. it feels like you have to manage your manager, you know?

09-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Kasie, I think you just have a stupid boss. This situation has plagued the majority of the working class, and unfortunately to this very day, I have yet to find an effective diffusion for it. It's easier with hard tangible material to prove your point, but seeing as how you're in law...you hardly if ever have a tangible piece of material you can use to further your point.

Just 'hang in there', kasie. You can persevere. Keep at it until your boss has no choice but to value your opinion/advice.

sandra
09-22-2003, 01:48 PM
thanks, guys. at least now i know others also have bosses like this and it isn't just that i'm a 'bad subordinate'.

mrazntre
09-24-2003, 01:04 AM
your boss is a typical manager. That's what management does, they ask opinions and when they receive responses, it's their job to shoot it down. Why? Because if you thought that you had ideas, then you'd be going after their job. So to deflect your aspirations and motivation, they just shoot down your ideas to discourage any free thought. They already have their ideas in mind. Even if you have the same idea, i'm quite sure he'll shoot down your idea and bring it up later as his idea and say "dammit, this is a great idea, i should've thought of it sooner." Just like the commercial. Take a management course at a local community college and you'll soon find what they really teach to perpetuate high class vs. low class (management vs. labor).

himura-dono
09-24-2003, 11:45 AM
sounds like he belongs in a marketing dept.

tech: why the hell did you say the boingo3000 could do all that?
marketer: cause that's what people want.
tech: it doesn't fucking do any of that tho.
marketer: so?
tech: i will kill you and eat your children...

sandra
10-02-2003, 11:24 AM
i quit. and now i have no income.

it feels funny being unemployed.

=D

i guess i'm just not very patient.

Chris
10-02-2003, 11:45 AM
whoa. girl. have you got something line up?

sandra
10-02-2003, 12:27 PM
no. but i discovered there are many temp agencies in l.a.

and i'll be volunteering at legal clinics in chinatown =D

and shopping on ebay.

sandra
10-02-2003, 02:05 PM
ugh! i guess i didn't quit. i didn't, but then he misinterpreted that i did, so then i went along with it. and now he called to clarify. and now i may have to work with him again because of the way he posed the question. it's not that i don't want to work with the firm - i respect the firm. i just don't want to work with HIM anymore.

the reasons why i dislike him:

1) he's wrong on the law and doesn't read his cases properly

2) he blames other people for his mistake

3) he calls other people 'stupid' when they don't agree with him - even when they're right on the law!

4) he cares more about himself than he does the client. e.g., he gets reprimanded by the judge. during lunch, he wants to talk about how the judge was wrong and partial rather than review his questions for after lunch. cross-examination comes along, he's unprepared, reads the questions incorrectly, confuses the entire courtroom, incl. the judge. he then has the nerve to walk out of the courtroom and say that he thought was very effective. after a week of this, i seriously thought i was losing it until i heard other people observing the same thing.

5) he tells me that i'm 'absolutely wrong' all the time even when i'm not, and never apologizes for his mistakes. case in point: we were arguing about whether the color of this shirt in this photo was red or not. i said it was. he said it wasn't. it went back and forth. he said, "no, i think you're absolutely wrong." why would i have argued with him unless i was certain? i was on HIS side! we walked into the courtroom. the color of the shirt? red. i have countless examples.

argh! all i want to know is that most other attorneys are brighter than this.

Chris
10-02-2003, 02:57 PM
DId you file grievences with the firm Kasie?? Do the firm know why you quit?

sandra
10-02-2003, 03:03 PM
no. but it seems like a community. it's hard to talk about somebody else.

Chris
10-02-2003, 03:17 PM
well if you have an incompentent boss you should at least let them know? maybe other people have file some kind of grievence in the past? Is he an associate or partner?

sandra
10-02-2003, 03:22 PM
an associate. maybe i'll talk to one of the other attorneys about it - if it ever comes up.

Chris
10-02-2003, 04:59 PM
an associate. maybe i'll talk to one of the other attorneys about it - if it ever comes up.

then report his ass to an ethics committee. They are more inclined to do something with he is an associate than a partner.

himura-dono
10-02-2003, 09:52 PM
i'm still suggesting the killing him and eating of his children... *hugs kasie*

ChinaLama
10-03-2003, 10:39 PM
why eat his children? just eat him.