PDA

View Full Version : how to make pig's blood

sandra
02-09-2005, 02:20 PM
post your recipe here.

kpih
02-09-2005, 02:25 PM
From scratch? Let's see. Start with a tied-up pig...

Not funny. I know. Just couldn't resist. Twisted mind of a criminologist.

Never tried to make it at home. Besides, the pig blood here in the states is not as tender as back home. It tastes like mahjong tiles over here...

NtshiabLiDej
02-09-2005, 02:50 PM
We use pig's blood to make steamed sausages. It's so yummy and quite simple to make.

You'll need:

1 part chopped fatty pork meat
2 parts coagulated pig's blood
Chopped green onion
Chopped cilantro
Minced ginger
Pig's intestines
Salt
Strings for tying the ends

Add all the ingredients together, except for the intestines and mix well. Tie one end of the intestine with a string and fill it with the mixture but don't pack it too tight (it will burst in the cooking process). Tie off the other end and place it in a stovetop rice steamer and cook until done. To check if it's cooked or not, stick a fork into it, if clear liquid comes out then it's done.

I know it sounds gross but it's really good.

kimpossible
02-09-2005, 02:54 PM
couple of questions

do you buy the blood coagulated or do you do something to it to make it coagulate?

does it matter what type of fatty pork meat? does it have to be from the belly, etc?

can you give a rough guess as to how long to steam it?

deez nuts
02-09-2005, 02:59 PM
couple of questions

do you buy the blood coagulated or do you do something to it to make it coagulate?

does it matter what type of fatty pork meat? does it have to be from the belly, etc?

i prefer duck blood over pig and chicken blood.

in either of three types, i buy it coagulated.

as for recipes: i just stir fry it with jou tsai with some shredded ginger.

NtshiabLiDej
02-09-2005, 03:09 PM
couple of questions

I'm not sure if you can buy pig's blood from a store, but where I live we usually go about getting it by visiting a slaughter house. To make the blood congeal, you'll have to add a mixture of salt and water to it... the more blood you have the more salt and water you have to add in (about one and half to two tablespoons salt and one and a half cup water for about a gallon of blood), but you have to be careful not to put too much salt and water in it or it won't congeal. It's best that you add the salt and water in a little at a time. Once the salt and water is added it usually starts to congeal right away. That's another thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post since there is already salt in the blood you won't have to add much salt when preparing the mixture. By the way you can add peppers to it, if that's something you like.

It doesn't matter what type of fatty pork, as long as there's some fat on it. Using lean pork to make them will make it kind of rough and dry. Cooking time is usually thirty minutes on high, but I suggest you check it by sticking a fork to it. If clear liquid comes out then it's cooked, but if the liquid is kind of dark and bloody then it's not done yet.

... lolz...

Just talking about this is making me hungry. Maybe I'll break taboo and eat some chicken blood.

BillHoo
06-26-2005, 10:23 AM
I've seen pig, duck and pork blood in the asian grocery where I live, but don't know how to cook it.

I enjoyed it when I used to get it in chinatown NYC.

-Bill_H

touaregsand
06-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Koreans make soon dae sausages with pig's or cow's blood. I've seen my mother make it with cow's blood. She added some ground beef and jap chae noodles to it. It was delicious. But this was a long time ago. Now there is a place in K-town where this couple prepare it very traditionally, so we just go there.

It's time consuming to make and the natural casings have a tendency to split open.

kpih
07-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Now there is a place in K-town where this couple prepare it very traditionally, so we just go there.

Address please? PLEASE!

asvenus
07-18-2005, 07:35 AM
i feel wooozy...

artsfartsyjanet
07-18-2005, 08:20 AM
i didn't like pig's blood for the longest time. now, i just think of it as red tofu in congee.