PDA

View Full Version : would you date a girl smarter than you?

sandra
08-29-2002, 04:32 PM
would you date a girl smarter than you?

thaite
08-29-2002, 05:16 PM
Well, according to every female I've ever met, I am a total idiot, so "Yes, dear."

deez nuts
08-29-2002, 05:16 PM
<sarcasm on> No girl is smarter than me! Raaaaaar <sarcasm off>

Nah I don't care. As long as she is attractive to me.

Nothing sexier than a chick with a banging bod and brains.

Hito
08-29-2002, 05:31 PM
But do you mean smarter or better educated?
I have known smart people who cannot carry on an intelligent conversation but could work the hell out of some AP Physics formulas.

But most defiantly I would date someone who is more educated then me.
It might even encourage growth (personal development you pervs!)

Saiko
08-30-2002, 11:42 AM
If I dated a guy that's smarter than me, I wouldn't care. If I dated a guy that's smarter than me and shoves it in my face and always treats me like I'm dumb, his ass is gone.

CrX3183
08-30-2002, 02:42 PM
I feel the same way that Saiko does, i don't mind just as long as she doesn't make me feel small...

johnny
08-30-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by CrX3183@Aug 30 2002, 09:42 PM
I feel the same way that Saiko does, i don't mind just as long as she doesn't make me feel small...
those medical pumps help the smallness :P

CrX3183
08-30-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by johnny@Aug 30 2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by CrX3183@Aug 30 2002, 09:42 PM
those medical pumps help the smallness :P
Haha, funny <_<

Barbs
08-30-2002, 08:25 PM
i have trouble respecting guys in a relationship who aren't (more) intelligent than me. education is not necessarily and indicator but ideally, education + intelligence together would be nice. i've met many supposedly "educated" people who aren't too bright and i've met plenty of really intelligent people who aren't "educated".

mrazntre
08-30-2002, 09:29 PM
Barbs Posted on Aug 31 2002, 03:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have trouble respecting guys in a relationship who aren't (more) intelligent than me. education is not necessarily and indicator but ideally, education + intelligence together would be nice. i've met many supposedly "educated" people who aren't too bright and i've met plenty of really intelligent people who aren't "educated". &nbsp;

doesn't that strengthen masculinity? and male chauvinism? so if the male that you are dating is more intelligent than you, should he have trouble respecting you?

Barbs
08-31-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by mrazntre@Aug 31 2002, 04:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have trouble respecting guys in a relationship who aren't (more) intelligent than me. education is not necessarily and indicator but ideally, education + intelligence together would be nice. i've met many supposedly "educated" people who aren't too bright and i've met plenty of really intelligent people who aren't "educated".

doesn't that strengthen masculinity? and male chauvinism? so if the male that you are dating is more intelligent than you, should he have trouble respecting you?
okay i'm going to get beat by the women for saying this....but i *want* a bit of male chauvinism and "masculinity" in my relationships. as a (somewhat) intelligent woman who can be "empowered" if i so choose, i actually would like the man in my relationship to be more intelligent, more....what's the word? masculine doesn't quite sum it up. no, i don't believe a guy should NOT respect me if i'm less intelligent than him. however, there's just not as much stigma (i feel) when a woman is at the same or slightly lower level of intelligence than the man in a relationship. if i'm going to be struck by the feminist movement lightning bolt for perpetuating female stereotypes then so be it...

Hito
08-31-2002, 12:31 PM
What if say the guy was not on the level you are talking about educationaly or intelectualy but had a kind of drive that pushed him to improve himself?

I have known people who struggle with learning but they pushed themselvs hard to keep up.
But then there are people who enjoy being ignorant (it is bliss isnt it?)
and that is the kind of person (male or female) that you want to stay away from.

amietron
08-31-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Barbs@Aug 31 2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by mrazntre@Aug 31 2002, 04:29 AM

okay i'm going to get beat by the women for saying this....but i *want* a bit of male chauvinism and "masculinity" in my relationships. as a (somewhat) intelligent woman who can be "empowered" if i so choose, i actually would like the man in my relationship to be more intelligent, more....what's the word? masculine doesn't quite sum it up. no, i don't believe a guy should NOT respect me if i'm less intelligent than him. however, there's just not as much stigma (i feel) when a woman is at the same or slightly lower level of intelligence than the man in a relationship. if i'm going to be struck by the feminist movement lightning bolt for perpetuating female stereotypes then so be it...
I know whatcha mean Barbs. I agree.

karizma
08-31-2002, 06:32 PM
>> personally i dont care how intelligent my bf is compared to me...although constantly living in someone's shadow could prove to be a problem for me. i want a guy who is able to carry a conversation, and if it goes deep he can stay afloat, a guy whose vocabulary isnt limited to "dude" or "shiiieeeet" or "bj". you get where im going with this...i dont want to feel like im talking to a fricken wall or intelligent parrot...i want a guy with his own thoughts, own way of thinking...and intelligence may not always be needed for those things...but eh...i might need help on hw once in a while so maybe a smart guy could help 0_o.

SunWuKong
08-31-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by karizma@Aug 31 2002, 08:32 PM
>> personally i dont care how intelligent my bf is compared to me...although constantly living in someone's shadow could prove to be a problem for me. i want a guy who is able to carry a conversation, and if it goes deep he can stay afloat, a guy whose vocabulary isnt limited to "dude" or "shiiieeeet" or "bj". you get where im going with this...i dont want to feel like im talking to a fricken wall or intelligent parrot...i want a guy with his own thoughts, own way of thinking...and intelligence may not always be needed for those things...but eh...i might need help on hw once in a while so maybe a smart guy could help 0_o.
what about a guy that don't talk much?

i don't tend to say much unless there's something meaningful or funny to be said. i don't like talking about meaningless BS. but sometimes girls have said that i'm too quiet.

mrazntre
09-01-2002, 12:54 PM
what's wrong with BJ's?

SunWuKong
09-01-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by mrazntre@Sep 1 2002, 02:54 PM
what's wrong with BJ's?
black jokes? :D

ChinaLama
09-10-2002, 09:49 PM
If she's smarter than me but has low self-esteem and THINKS she's dumber than me, of course i'd date the chick.

BTW i'm sorry for being such an irregular poster. I don't even check for replies anymore so any remarks you really want to see a reply to probably won't. :(

lethal
06-30-2003, 11:57 AM
I wanna smart chick.

VV o n g B a
06-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by lethalweapon@Jun 30 2003, 12:57 PM
I wanna smart chick.
not a hood-rat trick.

Emperor_Mike
06-30-2003, 12:12 PM
Yes, I would date a girl smarter than me. I require mental stimulation as much I need the physical sort. :D

YuheiCarreau
06-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by SunWuKung@Aug 31 2002, 11:13 PM
what about a guy that don't talk much?

i don't tend to say much unless there's something meaningful or funny to be said. i don't like talking about meaningless BS. but sometimes girls have said that i'm too quiet.
I find this impossible to believe.

Chester
06-30-2003, 12:19 PM
The only type of guy who won't date "smarter" girls are the types for whom "smarter" encompasses a very large chunk of the population.

Anyway, there's nothing onerous about dating someone smarter -- the problem is more about dating someone who constantly needs to show how much "smarter" they are.

sOKaLiBoY
06-30-2003, 12:59 PM
as long as she doesn't throw it in my face that she is smarter. i don't see nothing wrong with her higher level of intelligence. could actually learn some from her

blue hoodie
06-30-2003, 01:01 PM
I love smart girls. It's always nice to be able to have a good conversation with someone.

plus my dream is to become a house husband one day. :dance:

Hiroshi2
06-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Actually too many of the girls around me seem to not be that much smarter than me, so yeah.....I would appreciate an intelligent girl.

pfc beansprout
06-30-2003, 01:54 PM
my gf is the smartest girl i know...but i think i compliment her in other areas of smartness.....don't wanna date a dumb bitch...

DragonKnight
06-30-2003, 02:33 PM
Yes, I would date a girl smarter than me. I think brains have more appeal than looks IMHO. :)

Emperor_Mike
06-30-2003, 03:08 PM
Brains and plain appearances are fine with me. Substantial mental power and great looks are a very-nice-to-have, but all looks and no brains won't last longer than one night.

Fireblade
06-30-2003, 04:28 PM
Sure. What's there not to love about smarties? :D

sevenstorybeast
06-30-2003, 09:31 PM
dating smarties can have its benefits.. hey maybe she would do your classwork or something

Emperor_Mike
06-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by sevenstorybeast@Jun 30 2003, 07:31 PM
dating smarties can have its benefits.. hey maybe she would do your classwork or something
That's so very wrong. Slacker. :D

Tao
06-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Chester@Jun 30 2003, 02:19 PM
the problem is more about dating someone who constantly needs to show how much "smarter" they are.
true that

tvbdude
06-30-2003, 11:52 PM
sure why not. just as long she don't bore me with her super intellectual big words in a conversation.

tommyhtown
07-01-2003, 02:38 AM
Sure, as long as she is smart enough to make me think that I have more brain. It is an ego thing. I am sure she would be smart enough to understand. :lol:

golden_buns
07-01-2003, 04:29 AM
I dated a human rights lawyer in Costa Rica a few months ago. It was fun at first to have intellectual conversations but then it just got extremely boring that I couldn't stand it. Though I can't stand stupidity either I like someone who I can be dumb with and chill for a while.

Conclusion; she better not be too smart nor too stupid

Emperor_Mike
07-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by golden_buns@Jul 1 2003, 02:29 AM
I dated a human rights lawyer in Costa Rica a few months ago. It was fun at first to have intellectual conversations but then it just got extremely boring that I couldn't stand it. Though I can't stand stupidity either I like someone who I can be dumb with and chill for a while.

There needs to be a balance. Just like you can't have too many intellectual conversations or too many conversations about nothing.

coagulated fat
07-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Emperor_Mike@Jul 1 2003, 09:04 AM

There needs to be a balance. Just like you can't have too many intellectual conversations or too many conversations about nothing.
I agree. Sometimes I feel like having intellectual debates. Sometimes I feel like spinning in place and getting dizzy. I need someone who can understand that.

Fireblade
07-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by coagulated fat@Jul 1 2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Emperor_Mike@Jul 1 2003, 09:04 AM

I agree. Sometimes I feel like having intellectual debates. Sometimes I feel like spinning in place and getting dizzy. I need someone who can understand that.
Isn't that what amusement parks are for? Or swing lessons? :dance:

Hiroshi2
07-01-2003, 05:34 PM
^ I agree totally about the balance thing. I can have intelligent conversation, but I also have a tendency to act really stupid sometimes.

Chester
07-01-2003, 06:34 PM
There's no such thing as too smart. There's "extremely smart and extremely boring," but it's not as if staidness and intelligence have a proportional relationship.

The smarter a person is, the more interesting they are, fundamentally. If they're boring or conventional or closed-minded than they are those things, but they aren't those things because they're too smart.

Some would say that being boring, too conventional, or closed-minded shows how they aren't as smart as you'd think.

ren28
07-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Intelligent girls are definitely a big plus.

mr. x
07-01-2003, 10:34 PM
heck yeah id date a girl smarter than me thats a turn on

also stronger (but not too strong, like bodybuilding type (shudder)). well she dont have to be strongER or smartER but brains and strength are always good

tommyhtown
07-01-2003, 11:54 PM
I'd like to date the bionic woman. She is strong but she is a blonde.

BeTheReds
07-02-2003, 01:50 AM
It matters not. Most women will not date guys who are not as smart as they are.

Napoleon Chynamite
07-02-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by BeTheReds@Jul 1 2003, 11:50 PM
It matters not. Most women will not date guys who are not as smart as they are.
Intelligence can be faked.....convincingly. I do it all the time. :D

Uncle Tat
07-02-2003, 05:29 PM
no

Napoleon Chynamite
07-02-2003, 05:37 PM
If I avoided all girls smarter than me, my dating pool would be greatly reduced and become much to my disadvantage.

yoMAMA
07-07-2003, 04:56 PM
If she's hot and have big boobs, hell yeah!

:P

kwalan
07-15-2003, 10:26 PM
i turn it around.

would a girl smarter than me ... date me? heh.

word on frozenpizza, acting smart doesn't take much effort. being smart is a whole nother story.

Emperor_Mike
07-15-2003, 10:32 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-kwalan+Jul 15 2003, 08:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kwalan @ Jul 15 2003, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i turn it around.

word on frozenpizza, acting smart doesn't take much effort. being smart is a whole nother story. [/b][/quote]
There are varying degrees of intelligence and this sort of thing is extremely hard to gauge. There are book smarts and conventional wisdom, to name two. People can have one or the other or both. But all in all, I would imagine that so long as the girl isn't totally devoid of knowledge everything should be okay.

What qualifies as "acting smart" anyway? Memorising a bunch of facts and then regurgitating it? Can one act smart and be smart at the same time? Is it even acting to begin with?

Walrus
07-15-2003, 10:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Emperor_Mike+Jul 15 2003, 08:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Emperor_Mike @ Jul 15 2003, 08:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-kwalan+Jul 15 2003, 08:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kwalan @ Jul 15 2003, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i turn it around.

word on frozenpizza, acting smart doesn't take much effort. being smart is a whole nother story. [/b][/quote]
There are varying degrees of intelligence and this sort of thing is extremely hard to gauge. There are book smarts and conventional wisdom, to name two. People can have one or the other or both. But all in all, I would imagine that so long as the girl isn't totally devoid of knowledge everything should be okay.

What qualifies as "acting smart" anyway? Memorising a bunch of facts and then regurgitating it? Can one act smart and be smart at the same time? Is it even acting to begin with? [/b][/quote]
Exactly... you can't quantify smartness.

For the most part you're talking conversational skills... how deep a person can think.

Otherwise you're talking who has the most degrees, or respected profession, which I suppose could be an issue, if a guy wants to be THE MAN. These days, a smart guy will go for a smart girl, should mean more $$.

Everglaze
07-16-2003, 08:03 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Saiko+Aug 30 2002, 09:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Saiko @ Aug 30 2002, 09:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If I dated a guy that's smarter than me, I wouldn't care. If I dated a guy that's smarter than me and shoves it in my face and always treats me like I'm dumb, his ass is gone. [/b][/quote]
Yep, same.

If I dated a girl that was smarter than me, I wouldn't care. If I dated a girl that's smarter than me and shoves it in my face and always treats me like I'm dumb, her ass is gone.

Hmm..but I wouldn't wanna be Ray Romano stupid like on "Everybody loves Raymond," I'd like to have a chick who has the body and brains (but not to the extent where I'll always be wrong about everything cause I..freakin hate that!!)

hmm...

:dance:

RasFarengi
07-21-2003, 07:35 PM
hell I married a woman smarter than me, although she won't admit it to spare my ego. :rolleyes:&nbsp;&nbsp; It's all good, actually she is better than me at math...but I am better at other things.&nbsp; No prop...if the man is secure in himself, his women's intelligence can only be a compliment.&nbsp; I think intelligent women are sexy personally, I hate women who have no opinion, and I have to explain everything to like a child.&nbsp; I like to be constantly challgened, keeps life interesting.

AliBabaIncorporated
07-21-2003, 08:40 PM
Conversational skills are nowhere near the same thing as actual intelligence. But when most girls say they won't date someone "less smart" than them, they actually mean they wouldn't date someone who sounds dumb in conversation.

RasFarengi
07-21-2003, 08:57 PM
wouldn't date someone who sounds dumb in conversation

That's true.&nbsp; It's better for someone to think that you are dumb than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.&nbsp; Got to play it off. ;)