PDA

View Full Version : Women and Provocative Clothing

kitty
10-13-2003, 05:42 PM
This should be split from a different thread but for some reason I can't find the post for some reason when I try to split.

Why do women wear provocative clothing?

I think it's for themselves, to feel attractive and to play the dating game. I don't think feminism means be ugly... unless you're hard core uber-feminist in which case you generally want men to be exterminated. Most feminists who just want equality recognize that it's okay to look your best, if you're doing it for yourself and not for men.

nonamerasian
10-13-2003, 05:50 PM
I tend to be conservatively dressed when I’m outside of the home, but there are times when I dress in ways that I guess can be called “provocative.”

I’ve never dressed provocatively for men, although many seem to think all women do, however, there are times when I dress very conservatively for men. . .As in, for men not to focus their attention on me.

However, generally, I am dressing for myself and not for guys, but I think all women have different reasons for dressing the way they do.

kitty
10-13-2003, 06:00 PM
yeah, the only time I can think of that i dress provocatively is going to the club... and I *guess* you could say the guys going ga-ga is why, but it's mostly because I want to look good... in the club... since I would feel uncomfortable in baggy pants and an old tee.

coagulated fat
10-13-2003, 06:04 PM
I love me some provocative clothing. Hell, I'm wearing a miniskirt right now. But at the same time I'm disgusted when I see a girl who's obviously uncomfortable, over-trendy, and self conscious.

Some days you feel like dressing up and feeling cute, some days you roll into class late with messed up hair and a sweatshirt with basketball shorts.

coagulated fat
10-13-2003, 06:14 PM
that's ugly...thus, you're ugly
I'm tres awesome, it says so in my friendster profile and everyone knows friendster doesn't lie.

YuheiCarreau
10-13-2003, 06:18 PM
here, here baby, i just dress for myself; i literally do: i get turned on by my fabulous booby cleavage and i make kissy faces in the mirror while sporting ling-er-ay. once im out the door though, im a sheepish little lamb.

love,
prof. frink

Solution: Webcam. ;-P

And I agree with Kittygirl... In my experience women dress provacatively to get themselves off, not anyone else.

kimpossible
10-13-2003, 07:00 PM
In my experience women dress provacatively to get themselves off, not anyone else.

I say it can be for either or both. Sometimes it's a turn on knowing someone else is turned on. But seeing as how I've hit the Riesling I'm not even sure I'm still typing coherently.

deez nuts
10-13-2003, 07:04 PM
this also brings up the issue that certain women should not be dressing provocatively. it's akin to that balding man that does the sweep with whatever is left of his hair (side sweep or foward sweep). this goes beyond women feeling sexy and empowered. some shit just shouldn't be done for the greater public good strictly for aesthetic reasons.

kimpossible
10-13-2003, 07:08 PM
I think you're just threatened by their realistic womanly curves. You need you some Rubenesque lovin'. I've got 300 lbs of woman for you right here. Think of all those skin folds I'd let you have at.

deez nuts
10-13-2003, 07:10 PM
I think you're just threatened by their realistic womanly curves. You need you some Rubenesque lovin'. I've got 300 lbs of woman for you right here. Think of all those skin folds I'd let you have at.

hahaha you're such a dork.

but hypothetically, how am i supposed to find her vagina?

roll her around in flour and find a wet spot?

kimpossible
10-13-2003, 07:12 PM
hahaha you're such a dork.

but hypothetically, how am i supposed to find her vagina?

roll her around in flour and find a wet spot?

you're freaky. that's so hot.

YuheiCarreau
10-13-2003, 08:29 PM
this also brings up the issue that certain women should not be dressing provocatively. it's akin to that balding man that does the sweep with whatever is left of his hair (side sweep or foward sweep). this goes beyond women feeling sexy and empowered. some shit just shouldn't be done for the greater public good strictly for aesthetic reasons.

Yeah. Spandex: it's a privilege, not a right.

ellsworth81
10-14-2003, 07:21 AM
yeah, the only time I can think of that i dress provocatively is going to the club... and I *guess* you could say the guys going ga-ga is why, but it's mostly because I want to look good... in the club... since I would feel uncomfortable in baggy pants and an old tee.

As Dave Chappelle once said (or mimicked), " 'Just because I am dressed like a whore, doesn't mean I am one.' But ladies, you gotta admit. That's a little confusing."

The quote isn't too exact, but it highlights an interesting point. What are guys supposed to assume?

And why would you feel uncomfortable? Because everyone is dressed according to a standard that the club culture has created, and you are not? I think you can dress tastefully and show a modest bit of skin and still look attractive (obviously). But if you want to prance around semi-nude without expecting to attract attention, that should be confined to some private space.

ellsworth81
10-14-2003, 07:22 AM
Yeah. Spandex: it's a privilege, not a right.

same with speedos and wife beaters

deez nuts
10-15-2003, 01:31 PM
just cuz a woman can wear provocative clothes don't mean she should.

oh jeeeeeebus my eyes. i'm blind!

kimpossible
10-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Apologies to ellsworth, didn't move your post. Just wanted to address it in the right place.

But the women out there must admit, it's awfully confusing for the guys out there. I know some (as far as I know) prissy girls who wouldn't mind wearing the tube tops and the mini-skirts. And they know it will attract all sorts of attention. Is it the only way you can feel attractive about yourself is by dressing less? And by dressing less, gals are sending signals - that they are confident in their sexuality and perhaps more liberal than the typical square out there.

And when we see that hot number in the see-thru blouse is *also* going commando, of course guys will get frustrated only to find out that she was not interested in meeting guys at all that night. For once, a guy was able to find a gal as freaky as him, and he gets denied. He feels cheated.

Wow. There's a lot here.

Dressing less. Well here's a couple of things I want you to think about first. Being thought of as attractive to men has very little to do with what we do or what we look like overall because social standards and personal taste will dictate what you see as hot or freaky. Look at the Victorian age - they put covers over curvy furniture legs to discourage men from getting turned on by curves. Also, sure mini-skirts might get attention, but which is freakier? A mini-skirt or a head-to-toe latex catsuit?

Sending signals. So if you dress up as a guy are you sending signals to other guys who might find you attractive? Because there's the chance that could happen. Would someone else, regardless of gender, be right to assume that you are putting out signals and should expect you to engage in sex with them based on how you are dressed?

Or what if it's not a heterosexual woman dressing provacatively, maybe she's dressing for herself or her girlfriend. It's not her fault you might interpret that to be for you. Or what if it's a woman in a committed heterosexual relationship? She might indeed be dressing provocatively for a male's attention - just not yours.

I've heard women voice a similar sentiment of disappointment when some say that all the "hot" guys are gay or turn out to be gay at the end of the night.

I think this is a good analogy of the misinterpretation of 'putting out signals' by grooming and making oneself attractive that men make of women. Of course, a lot of provocative dressing for men or women really is about attention. I'm not denying that.

And finally, just want to end this by saying that I often hear ppl rationalize or attribute a girl's rape because she dressed a little scandalously. I'm definitely not one of those people, but there are few, if any, reasons at all to justify rape.

On the other hand, I am still interested in discussing this topic of why girls dress provocatively and all (major and minor) results of doing so ....

Understood. I realize that you're just asking for discussion's sake.

sandra
10-15-2003, 02:31 PM
in late high school, early college, i liked to wear short skirts and such. it never meant that i wanted to hook up with anybody. i was just copying the models in magazines.

i never wore tops that revealed my midriff. cause of my dirty belly button issue. and plus, i'd be afraid that things would fly into my belly button. yuck.

VV o n g B a
10-15-2003, 03:59 PM
so... just for discussion's sake, none of u think u dress for guys?

i find that somewhat hard to believe. especially considering studies that show women tend to show more skin when they are ovulating. do none of u think there's some subconscious mechanism at work here at all?

kimpossible
10-15-2003, 04:08 PM
so... just for discussion's sake, none of u think u dress for guys?

i find that somewhat hard to believe. especially considering studies that show women tend to show more skin when they are ovulating. do none of u think there's some subconscious mechanism at work here at all?

I think this is a good analogy of the misinterpretation of 'putting out signals' by grooming and making oneself attractive that men make of women. Of course, a lot of provocative dressing for men or women really is about attention. I'm not denying that.

I don't think anyone is saying that she's never dressed provocatively for male attention. Just that it doesn't necessarily advertise MOUNT ME or should be a signal for any and every male.

But yeah. People like attention. Showing skin can do that but there are other ways. Men can sexualize just about anything when it comes to women.

coagulated fat
10-15-2003, 07:43 PM
And finally, just want to end this by saying that I often hear ppl rationalize or attribute a girl's rape because she dressed a little scandalously. I'm definitely not one of those people, but there are few, if any, reasons at all to justify rape.

On the other hand, I am still interested in discussing this topic of why girls dress provocatively and all (major and minor) results of doing so ....
Actually I believe most rapists tend to go for women wearing loose, easy to remove clothing such as sweatshirts, and ponytails (because they are easy to grab). Hardly Cosmo-cover material.

ism
10-16-2003, 12:19 PM
Police: UNL prof tried to rape student
BY LEAH THORSEN / Lincoln Journal Star

A University of Nebraska-Lincoln visiting professor tried to sexually assault a student in his office, saying she asked for it because of how she was dressed, police allege in court documents.

Debasis Chaudhuri, 41, was charged Tuesday with attempted first-degree sexual assault and with first-degree false imprisonment.

Chaudhuri, a computer engineering professor on a temporary teaching assignment from India, has been relieved of his teaching duties, said Meg Lauerman, a university spokeswoman.

He was arrested Sunday after the student filed a report with UNLpolice.

The student told police she went to his Ferguson Hall office Oct. 9 to talk about grades.

He closed the door, pinned her down in a chair and fondled her while she tried to push him away, according to court documents.

After she told him he was a professor and what he was doing was wrong, he shoved his hand down her skirt and tried to pull down her underwear, the documents say.

She also said he held her in the chair and told her to write down her phone number after he fondled her.

Chaudhuri later told police he lost his mind for a few seconds and blamed the student for the incident because of the way she was dressed, documents say.

full article (http://www.journalstar.com/local.php?story_id=89475)

shy
10-16-2003, 12:29 PM
btw, provocative clothing... that can be subjective as to what's provocative, right? :) i pose this question because one time, i went to a bbq party w/ good friends, wearing kacky, long pants and a cotton, stretched spaghetti-strapped tank top. it wasn't meant to be sexy but my 'big brother' (not my real brother but a guy i've known so long that he's like a brother to me) wanted me to cover myself up because he noticed some dudes leering at me (his engineer friends who he likes but would never have set me up with them).

i was definitely surprised... i love those types of tank tops/halter tops. in the hot, hot summer... i feel freer and less constricted.

but when i DO wear provocative clothing, i don't think i did it for the sole purpose of picking up. i did it for me. i don't think there's anything wrong with wearing something that makes me feel good.. nothing wrong with being in a sexy mood. ;)

good topic, though!

deez nuts
10-16-2003, 12:57 PM
i think big fat red mu-mu's on a woman is provocative

ChinaLama
10-16-2003, 01:37 PM

would provoke you to run the hell away.

shy
10-16-2003, 03:42 PM

like i said... it's all subjective. :dance:

>:^|
10-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Actually I believe most rapists tend to go for women wearing loose, easy to remove clothing such as sweatshirts, and ponytails (because they are easy to grab). Hardly Cosmo-cover material.

Yah, rape isn't about desire, anyway.
There have been incidents of children less than a year old and women over the age of 90 being raped. So I don't think it has to do with intentionally provocative dress.

AngryABCGirl
10-16-2003, 09:15 PM
I think women dress up more for other women then men. Some subconcious competition thing.

ellsworth81
10-17-2003, 09:16 AM
can you truly feel sexy for yourself only?

the whole purpose of it is to reproduce - with other men. unless of course you like seeing yourself in the mirror while engaging in self-loving at the same time.

but how do you determine sexy? can it be determined absolutely? or is it only a relative thing? would you still be "sexy"? is concept of attractiveness socially constructed?

spaghetti tanks may seem harmless enough due to its overwhelming popularity and its legitimate air-venting solution that it provides. IMO, they are quite nice, especially if they are extra tight and provide proper support. Yes, that means it's provocative cuz it gives you a hint of the female form underneath the (lack of) clothes.

btw, provocative clothing... that can be subjective as to what's provocative, right? :) i pose this question because one time, i went to a bbq party w/ good friends, wearing kacky, long pants and a cotton, stretched spaghetti-strapped tank top. it wasn't meant to be sexy but my 'big brother' (not my real brother but a guy i've known so long that he's like a brother to me) wanted me to cover myself up because he noticed some dudes leering at me (his engineer friends who he likes but would never have set me up with them).

i was definitely surprised... i love those types of tank tops/halter tops. in the hot, hot summer... i feel freer and less constricted.

but when i DO wear provocative clothing, i don't think i did it for the sole purpose of picking up. i did it for me. i don't think there's anything wrong with wearing something that makes me feel good.. nothing wrong with being in a sexy mood. ;)

good topic, though!

shy
10-17-2003, 09:52 AM

the whole purpose of it is to reproduce - with other men. unless of course you like seeing yourself in the mirror while engaging in self-loving at the same time.

but how do you determine sexy? can it be determined absolutely? or is it only a relative thing? would you still be "sexy"? is concept of attractiveness socially constructed?

spaghetti tanks may seem harmless enough due to its overwhelming popularity and its legitimate air-venting solution that it provides. IMO, they are quite nice, especially if they are extra tight and provide proper support. Yes, that means it's provocative cuz it gives you a hint of the female form underneath the (lack of) clothes.

obviously, i think that attracting other people is one reason. as i stressed in my earlier quote, it's not the SOLE purpose all the time though... that was my main point.

but setting that aside, i truly do believe that one can wear certain types of clothes to match one's mood. or to put one in a certain type of mood... i've put on cloths that i think feels sexy and not every leave the house! especially if i decide to loung around in underweard. :D

perhaps i'm not the best person to talk to about 'provocative clothing' because my taste in what's sexy for me, is cloths that don't necessarly show much skin... (sort of like how i find men in tuxedo's very VERY sexy as oppose to seeing them in speedos - no matter how good looking they are).

ellsworth81
10-17-2003, 10:29 AM
obviously, i think that attracting other people is one reason. as i stressed in my earlier quote, it's not the SOLE purpose all the time though... that was my main point.

but setting that aside, i truly do believe that one can wear certain types of clothes to match one's mood. or to put one in a certain type of mood... i've put on cloths that i think feels sexy and not every leave the house! especially if i decide to loung around in underweard. :D

perhaps i'm not the best person to talk to about 'provocative clothing' because my taste in what's sexy for me, is cloths that don't necessarly show much skin... (sort of like how i find men in tuxedo's very VERY sexy as oppose to seeing them in speedos - no matter how good looking they are).

i'm not even saying it's wrong, but i'm trying to look at this almost biologically.

what is the reason though? what causes this need to take pride in your appeance? i may be analyzing this too far, but can pride exist in a vacuum?
not to theological or anything, but would adam be concerned with his appearance if other people were not around?

YuheiCarreau
10-17-2003, 10:30 AM

Chicks are vain.

ellsworth81
10-17-2003, 10:36 AM
Chicks are vain.

yea.

guys can be too, perhaps not more so. but look at narcissis (whatever the greek mythology's guy name is) and all the other guys at the gym who flex in the mirror

shy
10-17-2003, 11:24 AM
yea.

guys can be too, perhaps not more so. but look at narcissis (whatever the greek mythology's guy name is) and all the other guys at the gym who flex in the mirror

i think our society, witht he help of the media, makes many men AND women vain.

sandra
10-17-2003, 01:28 PM
i'm not even saying it's wrong, but i'm trying to look at this almost biologically.

what is the reason though? what causes this need to take pride in your appeance? i may be analyzing this too far, but can pride exist in a vacuum?
not to theological or anything, but would adam be concerned with his appearance if other people were not around?

:) exactly. we're just kidding ourselves. but then the question is who is strong enough to be the first to completely break out of this mold and be a reject of society?

ellsworth81
10-17-2003, 02:17 PM
:) exactly. we're just kidding ourselves. but then the question is who is strong enough to be the first to completely break out of this mold and be a reject of society?

so you are agreeing with me that appearances (not cleanliness or hygiene) is never truly "just for yourself", but based upon the opinion of others in one way or another

shy
10-17-2003, 03:36 PM

not that i would classify them as rejects but i think about nuns/monks and other such monastic lifestyles as those who have been able to break out of this mold...

something that's not easy to do which explains why many of them spent so much of their time in their life to achieve this type of control.

Hiroshi2
10-17-2003, 05:56 PM
i think our society, witht he help of the media, makes many men AND women vain.

Why do people always think that vanity is a feminine trait? I look at myself in the mirror five hundred thousand times a day, it doesn't make me feel any less masculine.

shy
10-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Why do people always think that vanity is a feminine trait? I look at myself in the mirror five hundred thousand times a day, it doesn't make me feel any less masculine.

yes... that was my point. i don't think that vanity is something to do w/ just feminine traits.

mrazntre
10-18-2003, 08:07 PM
yea.

you do know that there IS a reason for why guys flex in the mirror right ?

it's called muscle development. you flex and look to see which muscles have developed and which haven't. that way you can more accurately work your routine.

now......

guys that flex in front of every mirror at MAcy's or walking down the street... is so gH3y....

mrazntre
10-18-2003, 08:08 PM
I tend to be conservatively dressed when I’m outside of the home, but there are times when I dress in ways that I guess can be called “provocative.”

I’ve never dressed provocatively for men, although many seem to think all women do, however, there are times when I dress very conservatively for men. . .As in, for men not to focus their attention on me.

However, generally, I am dressing for myself and not for guys, but I think all women have different reasons for dressing the way they do.

i thought you were a guy.

mrazntre
10-18-2003, 08:09 PM
here, here baby, i just dress for myself; i literally do: i get turned on by my fabulous booby cleavage and i make kissy faces in the mirror while sporting ling-er-ay. once im out the door though, im a sheepish little lamb.

love,
prof. frink

i thought you were a guy too.

kimpossible
10-18-2003, 08:10 PM

I think people who totally don't care about appearances already exist; blind people.

mrazntre
10-18-2003, 08:18 PM
I think people who totally don't care about appearances already exist; blind people.

and i'm CERTAIN that you're a guy.

kimpossible
10-18-2003, 08:20 PM
and i'm CERTAIN that you're a guy.

i should hope so. we traded pictures of our penises. you trying to tell me that meant nothing to you?

mrazntre
10-18-2003, 08:51 PM
i should hope so. we traded pictures of our penises. you trying to tell me that meant nothing to you?

well yeah, that pic of your "penis" which was actually penetrating your ass wasn't very pretty. how disgusting.

Kuchana
01-05-2004, 05:53 AM
This should be split from a different thread but for some reason I can't find the post for some reason when I try to split.

Why do women wear provocative clothing?

I think it's for themselves, to feel attractive and to play the dating game. I don't think feminism means be ugly... unless you're hard core uber-feminist in which case you generally want men to be exterminated. Most feminists who just want equality recognize that it's okay to look your best, if you're doing it for yourself and not for men.

I used to dress conservatively and when I came to Hawaii, I went buckwild. Well not that literally but somewhat with wearing tank tops, miniskirts, and short formfitting dresses. I felt free but at the same time uncomfortable because of the attention that I generated with what I wore. I think that a lot of guys took it the wrong way, especially when you're at a club where girls for the most part are supposed to dress provocatively in order to get a man's attention. Now I've toned down and gave away the revealing clothes because it's a superficial game that people play. It's really sickening how society emphasizes with showing more skin and coming off as more sexy that you'll attract a man that way.